Fire Your Webmaster & Manage Your Own Internet Domain
Saturday, April 18, 2015 from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
This is a FREE workshop (Lunch Optional at $10)
HAVE YOU EVER WISHED FOR A WORDPRESS EXPERT TO TAKE YOU BY THE HAND AND SHOW YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO CREATE A COMPELLING WEBSITE WITH SEO AND MARKETING?
No matter what problem is tripping you up — themes, plugins, widgets, customization or site installation — our WordPress from Start to Finish class will help you SPRINT over the learning curve to GET RESULTS.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
• Business Owners or employees responsible for their company’s website.
• Graphic Designers looking to expand their service offerings by providing WordPress sites for clients.
• Web Professionals looking to save time by learning from WordPresssuper users and trainers.
• Busy Entrepreneurs who have started a new business and don’t have capital to pay someone to maintain their website
• Beginner WordPress Users who have installed WordPress but don’t know what to do next
DESIGNED TO LAUNCH YOUR WORDPRESS BUSINESS WEBSITE FROM DAY 1
INSTALLING AND SETTING UP WORDPRESS
We hit the ground running with a detailed overview of what WordPress is all about:
• Understanding what you want your website to do for you
• Domains and hosting accounts
• Install WordPress using a one-click hosting install
• Manage your dashboard for the best results
• Understand your setting pages
• Work with user accounts
• Create a personal Gravatar
CREATING POSTS, PAGES AND INSERTING MEDIA
We learn how to create different content types and use the full capabilities of WordPress. You’ll learn:
• The differences between posts and pages
• How to use categories and tags
• How to use the edit screen for post and pages
• How to create links
• How to insert photos
• How to embed video
• How to insert audio
LINKS, WIDGETS AND PLUGINS
We go one more step here with advanced content creation, including:
• Installing and setting up plugins
• Installing and setting up widgets
• The recommended, must-have plugins (and how to install them)
• Stopping Spam
• Contact Forms
MENUS, THEMES AND MAINTENANCE
Styling a site correctly is the difference between an amateur-looking website and one that looks professional. Choosing the right theme is half the work, and in this session we bring it down to earth for you by demonstrating some popular theme frameworks. Note: We will not be exploring theme customizations that requires coding.
• Managing and customizing menus
• Installing and working with themes
• Some of the most popular themes and their features
Updating WordPress and plugin versions
Creating backups of your website database and contents
Each session is 1 hour, with plenty of time for questions. To make sure you get the most out of the class, attendance is limited. All classes are recorded and available online, so you can view them as many times as you want—at your convenience.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
• WIFI-enabled laptop for hands-on learning
• Pen and Pad for notes.
The class requires basic competency with computers and web browsers. Also, this class teaches WordPress on a self-hosted server — this does not mean a WordPress.com or WordPress.org site. We’ll guide you in purchasing only the hosting and/or domain names you need (approximate cost is $100/year), not what the hosting vendors want you to buy.
TEACHING YOU HOW TO USE WORDPRESS IS MY PASSION!
Are You a Complete WordPress Beginner?
No worries. We’ll start slow and happily answer all your questions.
Call Yourself an Intermediate WordPress User?
Let’s build on what you already know, and gain confidence to do a lot more.
You will enjoy working with me because I help you understand why as well as how to use WordPress themes, designs, and settings. I communicate in plain English and don’t try to impress you with fancy geek-speak.
I offer a range of affordable WordPress training workshops and one-on-one consulting tailored to your unique site needs and audience. You won’t find cookie-cutter, generic formulas here. You’ll learn more in a single four hour session than most weekend or multi-day workshops offer.
I guarantee it.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Parking for the event is in the Old Mill Marketplace parking lot and you can either walk up to our location or we can call you a golf cart taxi paid in Tips.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Call me at 214-815-9308 (text ok) or (903) 287-0561 at the theater
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Nope, just need your name and I can look it up.